Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Little Birds

I can see the empty nest from here.  That is what I tell people when they ask me what it feels like to have three of my adult children out of the house and pursuing independent lives.  I am proud of what my children have accomplished thus far.  Cameron Petrey is a registered nurse in Tampa, Florida providing post operative care to patients having cardiac surgeries.  Buddie Petrey is in culinary school at the Culinary Institute of America and is on externship at Ocean House Restaraunt.  My daughter Whitney Rose Minger is in the doldrums between the completion of her coursework for her Masters Degree in Maritime Studies at Eastern Carolina University and the completion of her Master's thesis.

While Buddie may or may not be on his way to celebrity chefdom, and Cameron's work in the lives of his fellow human beings is priceless, I have to admit to a certain fascination in the very interesting things my daughter has done these past few years.

Being raised in working class homes with strong and enduring work ethics ourselves, my husband and I were pleased when she landed a real job working at Cultural Surveys, Inc. in Hawaii while she completed her undergrad degree at the University of Hawaii, Manoa.  During these years she worked on construction sites and often assisted with the recovery of the remains of pre-contact Hawaiians. Interestingly, the remains often would be compactly bundled with the knees drawn up at the time burial. 

Although we thought she would become something akin to a member of Jacques Cousteau's crew once at ECU, the reality consisted of diving in a swampy river and the distressingly mundane.  Eventually, she gravitated towards conservation and a graduate internship at the Country Doctor Museum which she loved. In turn this led to a curation project in conjunction with the Country Doctor Museum involving a collection of dental instruments at ECU's Laupus Library which is a Health Sciences Library.  All in all, a very interesting educational journey that hasn't ended yet.

If you are interested, Whitney has her own blog on Archaeoconservation.

Labels: , , ,