Friday, April 17, 2009

Fried squirrel and other pastoral treats of the past

I'm not exactly what this says about me, but I have eaten fried squirrel. In fact, watching my uncles skin the squirrels on the kitchen floor and my grandmother getting the hot fat ready to fry them is one of my earliest memories. Pickled pigs feet were also known to be consumed as a special treat. Later, I also had authentic chiltlins, tongue and other unmentionables at the homes of others.

I still love Grandma's oyster giblet recipe for holiday turkey stuffing. Here is a link to the squirrel eating Hank Shaw's blog of Orangevale, California. www.honest-food.net
I, too, briefly resided in Orangevale and so did Grandma. Oh, those were the days.

Hank is the new darling of the foodie media.

Now back to honest law.